Blog contents

Right at the bottom are my Kalgoorlie Miner newspaper columns. Through the middle are letters I wrote from my tent in the East Kimberley in 2007. At the top are various newer rantings.

Saturday 7 October 2006

Kalgoorlie Miner: (2) Forest-Desert

Are you a forest person or a desert person?

I am a certified desert person, both literally and metaphorically, and this characteristic expresses itself in many aspects of my life.

From a literal point of view I am a desert person because, in simple terms, I would prefer to sit and look at a single tree on a sand plain, than to be amongst hundreds of trees in a valley. I am eternally thankful that my subconscious led me into the field of exploration geology, a profession in which my chances of encountering thick forest are slim - as long as I'm in this country anyway.

Metaphorically I am a desert person because I prefer space over clutter, simplicity over complexity, solitude over crowds.

I don't know too much about art, but I do prefer more minimalist paintings and drawings over more complex ones. I can appreciate the skill required to produce a detailed peice, but there is certainly just as great a skill in knowing what to leave out - the background noise, so to speak. There has to be space for my imagination to fill.

My preferences in music are much the same, in that I generally enjoy simple or spacious music, performed with as few instruments as possible. I love it, for example, how the White Stripes perform such unique and energetic music with only Jack on guitar and Meg on drums.

In a documentary about the making of Pink Floyd's 1972 album "Dark Side of the Moon", keyboard player Rick Wright says that he placed great importance on leaving "space" in his playing - something that he and the band did expertly on that record and on it's follow-up, "Wish You Were Here". Sometimes the space or nothingness holds in it a lot more meaning than a chord thrown in for a chord's sake.

In terms of possessions, I would rather not have "things" than have them. I like it when there is nothing around to distract my attention and I am free to explore what I can do with myself - music, writing, reading, or just thinking. When there is too much going on my brain ceases to function.

This lack-of-desire for material possessions can be quite demotivational workwise and, when coupled with my tendency to melt down when faced with complexity, potentially makes me a useless employee. Luckily, for both my boss and my loan shark, the passion for geology is just enough to drag me into work each day and keep the dollars coming in.

Finally, I reckon that this topic relates to the common misconception that country people are simple people. I think that country people just want simple things, and have the ability to think simply, so in my classification they are desert people. It's the old "nature vs nurture" debate though - are they born or made?

So anyway, what are you - forest or desert? Maybe I've simplified it too much and there is another type of person not accounted for - mountain people, swamp people? Let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Best Kinds of Bicycle ShopsI love bikes. Bicycles of every shape, color, type and size will draw me like a fly to honey, so it took me a few years to discover that I do have a preference for particular kinds of bicycle shops.So, you have your trendy, high volume bike shop, where you can find all the latest models from the cutting edge of bike technology and design. These types of bicycle shop are also likely to offer some type of repair service.Then you have your smaller, perhaps family operated bicycle shop. In my experience this type of bicycle shop is even more likely to offer reasonably priced repair services.You may have guessed that one thing I tend to notice about a given bike shop is the types and cost of their repair services. After riding bicycles for years now, theres one thing that always eventually happens again: bikes need to be repaired.Most people pick up repair skills over months or years of riding, but if you need a repair done by someone else, its nice to have a local bike shop thats prepared to assist you and your situation.By far, the best bicycle shops out there are the ones that offer repair services at reasonable prices and deal in second hand bikes. Bike shops that are really good at one of these, are generally good at providing the other type of service.Call around and find out which bicycle shops refurbish used bicycles. You may be surprised at just how nice a refurbished bike can be. Think about it, instead of adding to a landfill somewhere, an old bike can be made perfectly new and functional again and become yours!Of course refurbished bikes are also a great way to get a good bike while saving a lot of money as compared to a brand new bicycle. The more bicycle shops that deal with recycled bikes, the more people can afford to own bicycles. Less car exhaust and more exercise and human interaction is good all around.When I visit bicycles shops that dont like to work with recycling bicycles, I like to voice my opinion about what a great service that is, how attractive it is to be as a customer. Its the little encounters in our daily lives that change the world everyday. Take part in bicycle recycling and help your little corner of the world!To learn more about everything bicycles vist my site at: BrensMartUSA Bicycles Have a geat day and stay healthy!Brenda Sue

Michael said...

Brenda Sue,

You are crazy and need to see a doctor quite urgently.

You also need to work on your paragraph structure. This is not quite as urgent.

Get well soon,

Michael.